Friday 29 January 2016

Inverting the Lesson - "Box Plots"


This is a lesson I have used to teach "Interpreting Box Plots", and I love it!
It’s an inverted lesson as opposed to the traditional approach of teaching box plots as I do not mention the topic, I do not teach what a box plot is; instead conditions are created where students are able to interpret the majority of the information without my input.

I think it is similar to the approach Kate Nowak @k8nowak presented  at the NCTM Regionals  "Inverting the lesson". This approach is about changing how we deliver lessons, which can typically be  I Do, We Do, You Do.

So this lesson starts off with no mention of box plots,  I do not teach what a box plot is and the parts of it...

There are three parts to the lesson. All of the resources are available here or for non-TES users here.

1. Estimate the number of dots.ppt (Original file here created by Craig Barton)
2. Box Plot spreadsheet (use this for other lessons)
3. Film task (applying our new-found knowledge)

This task was originally created by the legendary Craig Barton (@mrbartonmaths & Diagnostic Questions) here "Dotty Thinking", since then I have adapted it for teaching Box Plots.


Watch the video below for a complete description of how I use the resource.



Key Points

The lesson has 
  • Simple reference points - pupils can easily identify the max and min points of the box plot and most students can recognise the median.
  • The highest achieving student does not necessarily make the best guess, all pupils regardless of their current learning in mathematics can access this task.
  • Not a prerequisite for a maths task but my students enjoy this lesson (they're all desperate to find out how many dots there are and what the film genre is).


What I like about this lesson:

1. It has reference points, and stick-ability.
2. It promotes student discussion and student centred.
3. It is a low entry task - all students can take part and want to take part !
4. It takes no longer to teach than the standard box plot lesson.


What other topics do we teach this way? Please share in the comments section below.


Thanks
Damian






Credits.

Craig Barton for his brilliant resource and ideas - Thanks Craig!









6 comments:

  1. I’ve desired to post about something similar to this on one of my blogs and this has given me an idea. Tampa Tutoring Cool Mat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the work you have put into your nice blog. Windermere Tutoring We will bookmark to your blog because it is very informational. We love the site and will come back to see your new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a beneficial workout for me to go through your webpage. Private tutor Short Hills It definitely stretches the limits with the mind when you go through very good info and make an effort to interpret it properly. I am going to glance up this web site usually on my PC. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve desired to post about something similar to this on one of my blogs and this has given me an idea. Private tutor Far hills Cool Mat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really i appreciate the effort you made to share the knowledge.Private tutor of Gladwyne The topic here i found was really effective to the topic which i was researching for a long time

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like an educational blog which always some new information to visitors Private School in Cutler Bay, Fl and Enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

    ReplyDelete